The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition discovered some serious facts that should raise a red flag on diet drinks and products.
1) Diet sodas raised the risk of diabetes more than sugar-sweetened sodas.
2) Women who drank one 12-ounce diet soda had a 33 percent increased risk of type 2 diabetes and women who drank one 20-ounce soda had a 66 percent increased risk.
3) Women who drank diet sodas drank twice as much as those who drank sugar- sweetened sodas because artificial sweeteners are more addictive and are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar.
4) The average diet soda drinker consumes 3 diet drinks a day.
A study through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics explains more reasons why the body reacts to diet drinks over the sugar drinks.
- Artificial sweeteners are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar activating our genetically programmed preference for sweet taste more than any other substance.
- They trick your metabolism into thinking sugar is on its way. This causes your body to pump out insulin, the fat storage hormone, which lays down more belly fat.
- It also confuses and slows your metabolism down, so you burn less calories every day.
- It makes you hungrier and crave even more sugar and starchy carbs like bread and pasta.
- In population studies there was a 200 percent increased risk of obesity in diet soda drinkers.
For more healthful living, I recommend that you follow Mark Hyman, MD . While you are checking out his site, you may want to sign up for his newsletter.